Before beginning my master's program, I had no idea of what Web 2.0 or Library 2.0 were. It is bothersome to think that as a librarian a couple of years ago I was not up to date on the technology side of my job. I have to admit even now that this is the hardest part of my schooling. It is challenging but it is also exciting.
The idea that Library 2.0 stands not only for using the library in a more far reaching way but also that the mindset of librarians is to be open to change and new resources has been the underlying current of most my classes so far. It is good to know that I am taking my first Library 2.0 steps.
The Interent has affected my library work in many ways. We now use the computer for circulation, for cataloging and for reference. We are networked not only within this one library but also with a group of libraries which form a consortium. Those changes have been gradual here and I have been able to keep up with them easily. It has changed our workflow but not to the point that our staff is not necessary. I also do not think it has changed our way of thinking about our patrons.
I would probably not have a computer at home if it were not for my return to school. I would undoubtedly be one of my own computer users at the library. I use the Internet now for e-mail but have very few contacts. I have not joined the Facebook people and I created my first blog in October specifically for this class. I think I will probably now always have a computer at home. It is amazing that I can do reference work from my deck in the middle of the summer. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment